Pearls of Power Foundation Academic Scholarships
The Pearls of Power Foundation Academic Scholarships are awarded to high school seniors who will enroll for the first time in a four-year accredited college or university that is located in the United States. *
The scholarships are the:
1) Susie Haire Mann Scholarship (two (2) will be awarded) – The recipients will be African-American female or male students who will attend a Historically Black College or University (HBCU).
2) Sundra Schaeffer Brown Scholarship – The recipient will be an African-American male student who has exemplified outstanding academic achievement.
3) Pearls of Power Excellence in Education Scholarship – The recipient will be a student who has exemplified outstanding academic achievement.
4) Pearls of Power Excellence in Leadership and Community Service Scholarship * – The recipient must demonstrate leadership and excellence exemplified through academic achievement and extracurricular activities including commitment to community service. Must provide documentation/verification of leadership achievements (Serves as elected or appointed officer, committee chairman, letter from sponsor familiar with the student’s work. Must provide documentation/verification of volunteer community service demonstrated within the community and at school (newspaper articles, letters, programs, certificates). The recipient of this scholarship may be an entering freshman or current sophomore, junior or senior in college.
5) Traci Y. Gardner Memorial Scholarship – The recipient will be a 2021 high school graduate planning to attend a 2 year OR 4 year college or university
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or at least a 3.5 on a 5.0 scale. This must be verified by an officially stamped high school transcript
- Must have demonstrated leadership and followership abilities through meaningful community service and/or extracurricular activities
- Must be a citizen/legal permanent resident of the United States
- Must be planning to attend a 4 year college or university (Gardner applicants may be attending a 2 year college)
- Must live in St. Clair County, IL (Gardner applicants must live in East St. Louis)
The scholarship are based on the following criteria:
1. Academic Achievement
3. Community Service
6. Other criteria as noted
An award of $1,000.00 will be presented to the selected recipient of each scholarship. The scholarship will be made payable to and mailed directly to the recipient after the recipient has provided proof of enrollment. The scholarship funds may be used for tuition, electronic classroom necessities (computers, tablets, etc.), supplies and fees. The recipient must be a full-time student at the designated institution of enrollment.
Questions? Contact email@example.com
- Supplemental Questions
- What scholarship(s) are you applying for?
- Are you a U.S. Citizen?
- Parent (or legal guardian) 1 Mailing Address, City, State, Zip Code
- Class rank
- How many students are in your graduating class?
- Please upload your most recent OFFICIAL transcript (including grades through Fall 2020).
- List your honors and extracurricular activities (including school, community church, etc).
- List your community service and leadership experiences. Share the organization, your role, and the dates you participated.
- If you are applying for the Pearls of Power Excellence in Leadership and Community Service Scholarship, you must provide documentation/verification of your leadership achievements and community service experience.
- 1. Activity
- 2. Verification/Documentation
ESSAY: Write a 250 word essay on ONE of the following topics:
1. In wake of the January 6, 2021 insurrection on the Capitol in Washington D.C. respond to the following question: As an United States citizen reflect upon the violence, lawlessness and siege of the halls of Congress and what challenges might this pose on uniting the United States citizens?
2. As a student involved in pursuing a well-rounded academic education, how has COVID-19 and managing school responsibilities affected your school involvement?
3. What skills and qualities do you think college bound students need if they are to be successful at the University level?
- SCHOLARSHIP CENTRAL SECOND RECOMMENDATION: Enter the name and e-mail address of an instructor, counselor, advisor, supervisor or other similarly qualified individual who will submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. NOTE: As the applicant, it is your responsibility to inform that person to watch for an email sent on your behalf that will explain how to complete this process.
- SCHOLARSHIP CENTRAL RECOMMENDATION: If you filled out the recommendation question on your General Application, please select it from the drop down below. If you did NOT complete the recommendation on your General Application, enter the name and e-mail address of an instructor, counselor, advisor, supervisor or other similarly qualified individual who will submit a recommendation on your behalf. NOTE: As the applicant, it is your responsibility to inform that person to watch for an email sent on your behalf that will explain how to complete this process.
- APPLICANT SIGNATURE: By entering my full name below, I authorize the Pearls of Power Foundation and its agents to examine, verify and discuss my academic and/or financial records and other information which applies to the consideration of this application. I certify that all answers are accurate and truthful to the best of my knowledge, and that all information in the application and essays are my own work. I understand that the decisions made regarding my participation in this program are made by the Pearls of Power Foundation in reliance upon the truth and correctness of my statements.
- Show 8 more