Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. International High School Essay Contest
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. is pleased to announce its annual International High School Essay Contest. Students have the opportunity to earn a $500 award from the Nu Chi Foundation and the winner will represent the Nu Chi Chapter in its district competition. If the submission wins at the district competition, they will then represent the Chapter and District in the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., International High School Essay competition and compete for four college scholarships ranging from $1,000-$5,000.
This is opportunity is specifically for students who live in the region served by the Nu Chi Chapter. The counties are listed below under eligibility criteria.
African American High School Senior
Must live in Southern Illinois Metro East Area (St. Clair, Madison, Jersey, or Clinton County, Illinois)
Planning to attend an accredited college or university in Fall 2023
Students are required to submit an essay for this scholarship. The essay must be original and neither previously published nor secured by copyright. The essay must be between 700 and 750 words in length.
Essays will be evaluated based on the following criteria.
Essays may earn a maximum rating of 100 points:
1. Development of Topic/Thesis: (30 possible points)
2. Progression: (20 possible points)
3. Readability: (25 possible points)
4. Grammar: (15 possible points)
5. Spelling: (5 possible points)
6. Punctuation: (5 possible points)
The Nu Chi Chapter winners will be invited to the Nu Chi Chapter Achievement Week Founders’ Banquet to be held in the fall to present their essay submission and receive their award.
Questions? Contact Carl Dean firstname.lastname@example.org
- Up to $500 local award with opportunity for additional district and national awards
- Supplemental Questions
- 2022 Essay: A world crisis has caused a paradigm shift for health disparities and social justice; what are your suggestions for positive change?
- APPLICANT SIGNATURE: By entering my full name below, I authorize Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., and their agents to examine, verify and discuss my academic and other information that apply to the consideration of this application. I certify that all answers are accurate and truthful to the best of my knowledge, and that all information in the application and essays are my own work. I understand that the decisions made regarding my participation in this program are made by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. in reliance upon the truth and correctness of my statements. Persons submitting manuscripts thereby grant to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. the right to keep the manuscripts and to exercise full publishing rights to them. The decision of the judges will be final. The manuscripts must present an adequate treatment of the essay topic. Winners may be required to furnish written proof that they were enrolled in their respective high school at the time the essay was submitted. Awards will be submitted to each winner, upon written verification from an institution of higher education that the individual has enrolled. Actual enrollment (not just acceptance) is required. Awards must be claimed within 18 months after the announcement date to be valid.