G. Elretta Blaine Memorial Scholarship
Gladys Elretta Coats Blaine was an exceptional scholar, dedicated community volunteer, beloved member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority for over 70 years, and a cherished member of Gamma Omega Chapter who remained active until her passing in 2018. Born in Sedalia, MO in 1924, she graduated from Lincoln University with a degree in History, and a minor in French, and Business Education. She immediately enrolled in Columbia University in New York, where she earned her Master of Teaching Arts degree. She returned to St Louis and taught high school Social Studies for over 50 years. This scholarship was created in honor by her fellow members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority.
Scholarship Amount: $1,000.00
- High School Senior
- African American
- Education Major (Early Childhood, Elementary, or Secondary Certifications) If there aren’t any education majors that apply, the scholarship can be awarded to a female student planning to pursue a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, or Math) Degree.
- 3.0 or greater cumulative grade point average
- Permanent resident of St. Louis City, St. Louis County, or St. Charles County, MO
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Supplemental Questions
- Please upload your most recent OFFICIAL transcript.
- List leadership positions you have held. Include organization name, position, title, and dates of service.
- Community Service Activities:
- 1. Name of Organization
- 2. Contact person name and phone number
- 3. Dates of service
- 4. Duties
- 5. Total hours
ESSAY: Please write a 250–300-word essay on one of the following topics:
Why is education important in society?
Should teaching be one's passion?
What issues are faced by women in education?
- SCHOLARSHIP CENTRAL RECOMMENDATION: Enter the name and e-mail address of an instructor, counselor, advisor, supervisor or other similarly qualified individual who will submit a recommendation on your behalf. NOTE: As the applicant, it is your responsibility to inform that person to watch for an email sent on your behalf that will explain how to complete this process.
- SCHOLARSHIP CENTRAL SECOND RECOMMENDATION: Enter the name and e-mail address of an instructor, counselor, advisor, supervisor or other similarly qualified individual who will submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. NOTE: As the applicant, it is your responsibility to inform that person to watch for an email sent on your behalf that will explain how to complete this process.
- By entering my full name below, I authorize Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated - Gamma Omega Chapter and its agents to examine, verify and discuss my academic and/or financial records and other information which applies to the consideration of this application. I have read the instructions carefully and understand that the information contained in this application is confidential. I understand that failure to meet any or all of the stated requirements automatically disqualifies me as a candidate. I certify that all answers are accurate and truthful to the best of my knowledge, and that all information in the application and essays are my own work.
- Show 2 more