The Wayman F. Smith & Frankie Muse Freeman Scholarship - Howard University Alumni Club of St. Louis
The scholarship is open to undergraduate students (incoming, continuing, returning, and transfer) enrolled for attendance at Howard University.
The Wayman F. Smith & Frankie Muse Freeman Scholarship Fund was established by the Howard University Alumni Club of St. Louis to honor the legacy of our esteemed alumni while helping students meet the financial challenges of pursuing higher education. The scholarship is an expression of our appreciation of their contributions to Howard University, St. Louis and the nation. The legacy of community service, leadership, activism, civic duty is unparalleled.
1. The scholarship is open to new undergraduate students (incoming, continuing, returning, and transfer) enrolled for attendance.
2. Applicants must be a permanent resident of the St. Louis metropolitan area or be graduating from a St. Louis metropolitan area high school. The metropolitan area includes St. Louis city, the Missouri counties of St. Louis, Franklin, Jefferson, Lincoln, St. Charles, or Warren, and the Illinois counties of Bond, Calhoun, Clinton, Jersey, Macoupin, Madison, Monroe, or St. Clair.
3. “Financial Need” is a factor in the selection process but not the determining factor. Applicants must have the completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and are required to upload their FAFSA Student Aid Report.
4. Applicants who are current Howard University students must and be in good standing academically (not on academic probation) and financially (student account is not in arrears) at the time the application is submitted and when the scholarship is awarded.
Scholarship award amounts will be determined pending funding.
After the Application Submission
- The scholarship committee will make a selection near the end of June and all students will be notified via email.
- Scholarship recipients will be asked to submit an electronic photo and photo release to be used in future marketing materials.
- The families of the recipients will be asked to place an ad in the summer scholarship brunch souvenir booklet.
- Selected recipients will be asked to be present to formally accept the scholarship award during the scholarship brunch (early August) at no cost to the recipient.
- Funds will be deposited into the student account in the fall semester.
- Scholarship recipients should use the award letter to inform the Financial Aid Office of the impending scholarship disbursement.
Questions? Contact: email@example.com
- Supplemental Questions
- Howard University Student ID #
- If you are an incoming freshman or transfer student upload a copy of the acceptance letter written on Howard University letterhead.
- Parent (or legal guardian) 1 Full Name
- Parent (or legal guardian) 1 Home Phone Number
- Parent (or legal guardian) 1 email
- Briefly describe your future career objective(s).
- Describe extracurricular activities in which you have participated in high school and college. Include the dates of participation.
- 1. Activity
- 2. Dates of participation
- 3. Your role
- Please list any community and/or civic activities or organizations in which you have participated:
- 1. Brief description of activity
- 2. Frequency (ie. hours/week)
- 3. Dates (from/to)
- List Honors/Awards/Recognition you have received.
- Are there additional factors that you would like the scholarship committee to consider? If yes, please state below:
- Please upload your resume.
- Write an essay of 500 - 750 words demonstrating a knowledge of the contributions of Wayman F. Smith and Frankie Muse Freeman to the Howard University legacy. The essay should also demonstrate how your own path could be modeled after or influenced by their contributions.
- VIDEO: Please create and upload a video in response to the following: I am inspired by the life stories of Frankie Muse Freeman, Wayman F. Smith and (select anyone). This is why... Your video must be two minutes or less. Upload to a video sharing site (like YouTube) and insert the link below
- STUDENT AID REPORT (SAR): Please upload a copy of your Student Aid Report. The SAR is the document resulting from the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA may be filed online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. Once you have completed the FAFSA, upload your SAR here.
- SCHOLARSHIP CENTRAL RECOMMENDATION: Enter the name and e-mail address of an instructor, counselor, advisor, supervisor or other similarly qualified individual who will submit a recommendation on your behalf. NOTE: As the applicant, it is your responsibility to inform that person to watch for an email sent on your behalf that will explain how to complete this process.
- SCHOLARSHIP CENTRAL SECOND RECOMMENDATION: Enter the name and e-mail address of an instructor, counselor, advisor, supervisor or other similarly qualified individual who will submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. NOTE: As the applicant, it is your responsibility to inform that person to watch for an email sent on your behalf that will explain how to complete this process.
- By typing my name below, I authorize Howard University to to share information regarding enrollment status, GPA and financial aid records with the Scholarship Chair of HUAC St. Louis.
- By entering my full name below, I certify that the information I have provided is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge and I authorize the Howard University Alumni Club of St. Louis and its agents to examine, verify and discuss my academic and/or financial records and other information that applies to the consideration of this application.
- Show 13 more