- Supplemental Questions
- This application is only for students who previously received the Dr. Lillian Adams Parks Scholarship. Have you received this scholarship in the past?
- Upload your most recent transcript (including grades through fall 2019)
- Please share the highlights of your past academic year. How did the Dr. Lillian Adams Park Scholarship help you?
- Write an essay (not more than 400 words) on ONE of the following topics. Beware of plagiarism.
1. There are many societal factors impacting our nation and the TED talk platform is a great way to communicate to a global audience. If you were to give a very important speech or a TED talk, what would it be about and why?
2. The late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. exemplified courage and resilience. He once said, “There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politic nor popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right.” Describe a time when you had to take a position in the midst of adversity.
3. California and New York were the first states to enact laws in 2019 forbidding race-based hair discrimination. Several other states have followed with their proposed legislation. Some believe that banning ethnic hairstyles “upholds this notion of white supremacy.” Do you agree with this premise? Is such legislation necessary in 2020?
- By typing my full name below, I hereby certify that, to the best of my knowledge, the information contained in this application is true, complete and accurate. I understand that any alteration, concealment or falsification of any information or material will result in my disqualification as a recipient or potential recipient of the Dr. Lillian Adams Parks Scholarship. I understand it is my responsibility to make sure that the application is completed and submitted by the required deadline. If not, my application may be disqualified from the awards competition and may not be considered for an award. This application, upon receipt, becomes the property of The Gateway (IL) Chapter of Links, Incorporated. To comply with the provisions of the Family Educational and Privacy Act of 1974, I hereby grant permission for school officials to release my school records and other requested information, if necessary.